Tuesday, May 3, 2011

Confessions & Real Life

Life is full of surprises... Some good, some bad and some just plain ole' ugly! ;) I had a little of all three last weekend!




I went to a garage sale next door on Saturday. I hadn't planned on getting out of the house...Well, mostly because my hair was sticking up everywhere and I had make up running down my face from the night before. Which is usually not like me, I am usually good at washing my face and pulling my lovely lady locks back for a good night's sleep and a easy morning...Nothing worse than being startled at your own image in the mirror, am I right? Lol!


Okay, so I got lazy and had sniff way too many fumes the night before and maybe had a glass or three of wine too boot! Hate me! ;) Probably not the best idea to of locked myself in the garage with paint & stain fumes & wine. ;) What a party, I tell you! You missed out on a lot of fun!


I was working on my french chair and 2 schoolhouse chairs I had found at my local thrift store a few weeks ago. I was having a ball! Talking to my BFF with my phone tied around my head, sipping wine and painting away! You know you all have concocted your cell phones around your head...right? We all do it...right??? ;) I usually act like I just washed my hair...I twist my towel on top of my head and tuck my cell phone in...lol I actually do think I really am getting away with something! If you are my neighbor and are lucky enough to catch me in the act, you have seen me dodge you...as I am running to the mailbox or to car to grab something. I do act casual and stay calm, turning my head ever so slightly...so you can't see the cell phone hanging out....lol hahahaahaa!...Sometimes I like to get fancy and wrap a pretty scarf around my head tightly and tuck it in...That is usually only when I have guests or feeling kinda' pretty! :) lol



Tape? I never thought of that one! I'll add that to my emergency hands free concoction list!

So, anyway I was planning on finishing up my projects and fluffing my nest a little. But I looked out the window and saw a garage sale going on next door...I spotted a huge, crazy piece of something that looked like it was up my alley...all chippy, rusty, and old...Dang it, I hate when this happens! I panicked...Do I risk letting the world seeing me this way? All for a garage sale and a possible crazy piece of junk? And then I had a weird thought pop into my head...I thought thank goodness I am not famous, I would be the one you see on the cover of those horrid magazines! I always feel so bad for those girls...even though I am glad they are normal and from this world. ;) So, I ran to my bathroom and washed my face and put my rat's nest of hair in a hat and a sweet little sundress to look like I was planning on being so what productive...I mean it was 10 am by then! lol I actually pulled myself together very quickly. Which is good to know for other emergencies, such as this.


I walked leisurely over. I didn't want them to think that I had my eye on something. I circled around this crazy piece of something...I thought what is it? Then it hit me...It was vintage bird cage! They wanted $15 for it...As I looked away and around to make sure there wasn't any other vultures lurking...I pretended to be looking at something else...And then like the angels singing down from heaven...I heard a soft voice..."We can go lower"...Lower, I thought?...I would of actually paid more for this crazy piece of something...It was a voice of a niece of my elderly neighbors...Yes, I prey on the elderly, okay?...I mean come on, it was a garage sale! lol I went over to talk to my neighbors about this bird cage...She said she had bought it 43 yrs ago on their honeymoon. My heart dropped and I got all mushy...I hate when that happens at garage sales...lol I said.."Well, I have to have it...what a beautiful story!" I paid full price because of that story, well actually $13...because I was a little short on cash...

Yes, life is full of surprises. I loved that Saturday, I ended up finishing my chairs and fluffing my nest...but best of all, I heard a beautiful love story about two lovebirds beginning their lives together! I will always remember it when I look at my $13 bird cage...





I will be showing off my chairs tomorrow...Now, I am off to find my favorite towel and my cell phone and call my BFF!

Xo, Meme


30 comments:

Lana said...

Too funny and very enjoyable. Love you!!!

Love the Decor! said...

Totally worth the risk of beings een unmake-uped and bed headed!!
Love it!!

Elizabeth said...

absolutely Awesome!!! LOVE IT! XOXOXO

Kim @ Savvy Southern Style said...

I love it and that is too funny of a story. I look scary everyday when I get up!

Beach House Living said...

I get the picture loud and clear. I give the UPS guy quite a scare still in my pj's at 2 in the afternoon. Left over mascara just completes my look.

I will have to try the tucking in of the cell phone tip.

Great bird cage now really how are sleeping? Go and give your nice old neighbors some more cash.

tammy said...

What a find! I'm totally in love with it.

laxsupermom said...

Love the new birdcage! Such a fun story, too. Thanks for sharing.

deb said...

OMGGGGG what a score!!!!! I would have gone out 1/2 naked for that...well....ok yeah I would have!!!!

Kim said...

Too funny! Girl you are hilarious. Glad I'm not the only nut out there. Awesome find. I love things that have a history. Lucky you got to hear it firsthand!
xoxo,
Kim

Imagery by Kimberly said...

I am so glad the birdcage found a special home in you.

What a delightful story that I so enjoyed reading!

Thank you for sharing!!!

Love,
Kim

nancy said...

So happy to hear I am not the only one that will risk those nasty paparazzi photos for a fabulous find.
Thanks for your fun post...felt like I was there!

Miss Mustard Seed said...

Awesome find!! You're a riot.

" SHABBY JUNK" said...

Love the birdcage. I have never seen one like it. Good find! judy

the cape on the corner said...

oh man, you crack me up. "prey on the elderly." what a unique find, i love it!

Unknown said...

What an amazing find. AND most of all, thanks for sharing the story about your 'preparations' to go next door. I love it when bloggers actually blog!!! So much is taken up with giveaways, parties, infomercials and the like. Thanks for the great and fun to read story!:)

Rhonda said...

Meme! I adore that birdcage! Care to sell it?? Wow...what an awesome find and I love the story too.....
Let me know when you are ready to sew! LOL

Rhonda

Lou Cinda @ Tattered Hydrangeas said...

You are gorgeous on your worst day! No worries! LOVE the bird cage and what a sweet story!

Now, I have to say I have never strapped a cell phone to my hea...but only because I had not thought of it! LOL

Have a great day!

Lou Cinda

Thank you for your sweet comment :) It meant alot...

Simple Daisy said...

Too funny!! What a find...I love it:)

Rhonda said...

ok...how do I get my comment to say "Rhonda @ The Yellow Brick Road" said......
Another blog lesson I have not figured out! LOL

Heathahlee said...

LOVE that story! Yours AND theirs! And I love the birdcage! You go, girl! : )

Anonymous said...

funny & i LOVE that bird cage!!!

1 Funky Woman said...

Dang, it must be about that time of month because this just made me weepy! What a great story. I'm so glad you found that out about it. I'll be she was happy to know you were buying it also!

And oh I have many days where I dodge neighbors because of how scary I look like! Right now I have a zit the size of Texas on my chin and I even ran outside with some goop on it praying no one was out!

Megan

Korrie@RedHenHome said...

A true bargain hunter can't let things like bad hair days or filthy painting clothes get in the way of the hunt! Great find.

Unknown said...

Such a sweet story! I just love the curves. :) (From your new friend, in New Braunfels, TX)
Nicole

Gypsy Heart said...

I love this! No, I've not tried the towel and cell phone trick ~ we learn something new every day don't we?

You really found a wonderful treasure...and the price was definitely right! Looks adorable...

xo
Pat

Fishtail Cottage said...

love your new birdcage! pretty funny story...xoxo, tracie

Barbara Pilcher said...

That is such a great story. You made my day, and made me a follower.

I thought I was the only one who thought the neighbors actually notice what I'm wearing.

Maybe someday you WILL be a celebrity and we'll see you on the cover of The Enquirer with a cell phone taped to your bedhead.

Kathy @ Creative Home Expressions said...

Ha! And I was just admiring this in your chair post! It's a great find and beautiful - the story just makes it more so.

deb mills said...

oh you lucky lady... what a wonderful piece! took a few minutes to check out your blog and really enjoyed it...had to end up adding you to my bookmarks. your name didn't hurt either. i had two wonderful "memes" that i loved and miss very much.

Object of Maya*ffection said...

What a sweet story! and FAB find!